Hey friends! I’ve had a busy week. Amidst all the stuff I had going on, I made time to work out three days in a row (with a teething almost six month old)! I managed to make it through, and thought I deserved a reward. What better way to reward yourself than with food? My thoughts exactly. Initially, I had a craving for a creamy pasta dish. But, I definitely wasn’t craving all those calories… and then a lightbulb went off, carbonara!
Granted, carbonara is made with bacon (or pancetta), egg, and parmesan or romano cheese, so still calories, but definitely not as much as a sauce overloaded with butter and cream. Anyways, it was pushing 7 p.m. and I still had nothing made for dinner. Which is why this recipe has “use-what-you-got” in front of carbonara, lol. I don’t know about you, but I definitely wasn’t trying to go back out at almost 7 p.m. with a baby in the cold, dark, and rainy weather. So, this beauty was created.
Look at that fettuccine glistening with deliciousness. And now, what you’ve all been waiting for, the recipe. Keep in mind that this can easily be altered to your liking/taste preferences. You can always add chicken or shrimp for a nice protein boost too. Also guys, I’m more of an eyeballer than a measurer, so yeah that too.
What you will need:
- 1 lb fettucine, linguni, or spaghetti (basically anything with that kind of long shape)
- 5-6 cloves of garlic (this can be reduced if you aren’t a garlic lover like myself)
- 3-4 whole eggs
- Approx. 1/2-3/4 cup romano or parmesan cheese
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Approx. 1/2 lb thick cut bacon or pancetta
- Approx. 2TBSP olive oil
Optional: (these are things I used, but use whatever you have in the house!)
- Chopped scallions (or fresh parsley would be great.)
- Leftover veggies (I used broccoli, but pretty much anything would be good in this recipe.)
- Extra grated cheese (for topping.)
- Chop the bacon, scallions, and garlic and keep all three separate.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the chopped bacon.
- After you add the bacon, put a pot of water on to boil. (Don’t forget to salt the water!)
- When the bacon is about 1-2 mins away from being done, add the chopped garlic in with it. Once cooked, turn off the heat and move it off the hot burner.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the bacon & garlic to a large serving bowl and add about 2 TBSP of the residual oil in the pan you cooked the bacon in.
- In a separate smaller bowl, beat the eggs and grated cheese well, and add black pepper to your liking.
- When pasta is al dente, DO NOT STRAIN. Instead, using a slotted spoon or tongs to remove the pasta and add it to the large serving bowl.
- You are going to want to work quickly, because the heat of the pasta will be cooking the egg in this dish!
- Once all the pasta is in the serving bowl, add the beaten egg/cheese mixture.
- STIR STIR STIR that pasta!
- Keep stirring! You want to stir it around for at least 1 & 1/2 mins. Add some of the pasta water to help it from drying out (thats why you don’t strain it :P)
- Once everything is all stirred up, add your fresh chopped scallions, leftover broccoli, and stir one more time.
- Serve individually & top with extra grated cheese.
This was the finished product. DOUBLE YUM!
Hope you guys try this super indulgent dish out, and please comment with your variations if you try it or have any questions for me! Mangia! Enjoy 🙂